Geoff's Bronze Broth
[ Sunday 2nd December 2012 ] By Geoff e
Do you ever wonder what to do with your turkey leftovers at Christmas? We have the answer! You simply can't go wrong with Geoff's wholesome and traditional turkey soup, which will not only nurse any winter colds but help you make the most of that beautiful bronze bird which is far too delicious to waste!
What you'll need:
• 55g/2oz butter
• 2 onions, peeled and sliced
• 2 sticks of celery, finely chopped
• 2 carrots, peeled and finely diced
• 25g/2oz plain flour
• 1.2 litres/2 pints turkey stock
• 450g/1lb cooded bronze turkey, skinned and shredded
• 1 tbsp freshley chopped parsley
• Salt and freshly ground black pepper
1. For the stock, take your largest cooking pot and break the turkey carcass into it (along with all the bits that cling to it). Cover with water, bring up to simmering point, skim off any scum that rises to the surface, and then simmer for 2 hours. After that strain the stock and discard all the debris.
2. For the soup, melt the butter in a large saucepan over a medium heat and gently fry the onions, celery and carrots until they start to soften. Stir in the flour and cook for 2 minutes.
3. Add the turkey stock and bring to mixture to the boil, stirring as you do so. Season, to taste, with salt and freshly ground black pepper, then reduce the heat until the mixture is simmering and simmer for 10 minutes, until the vegetables are tender.
4. Add the cooked turkey and cook until heated through. Season, to taste, with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Stir in the parsley and serve.